Friday, November 21, 2008

My Mom's Punkin Pie

Of course, don't we ALL think our mother's/grandmother's/etc. pumpkin/other pies are THE BEST and the SECRET RECIPE to outshine all others?

Of course.

But, when I bake one of these pies, and I baked TWO last night, to donate to a charity bake sale at work this morning, but when I bake this recipe, all warm fuzzy feelings of a happy home come flooding back to me. And by giving these pies, my aim is to pass along those warm fuzzy feelings. I imbue that positive energy into my baking.

Now, I know that most times, a pie is a pie is a pie. Especially when it comes to that Thanksgiving staple, pumpkin pie. BUT after I moved across the country, I discovered that no one else REALLY makes pie like this pie. The "common" pumpkin pies I have run across are very orange, and like custard in consistency. And that's all fine and good. But THIS pie is MO' BETTA! Trust me on this one.

Scald: 1 can evaporated milk with more regular milk added to make 2 cups. Add 2 tablespoons butter, and let sit off heat.

Mix together: 3 cups pumpkin (or puree from 2 small pie pumpkins), 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. ginger, 2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg.

Slightly scramble: 4 eggs. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix in. Add milk, mix in.

Pour into two pie shells. You should also have a little extra to bake in a bowl/dish separately, as a "crustless pie." Don't throw it out! This is an extra BONUS. Sprinkle the top of each pie with 3 tablespoons of diced/finely chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans). Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes, until a knife inserted between the center and edge comes out clean. (The smaller dish will take less time to bake.)

Total yum.

No comments: